My Website

My Website
Click Above to Visit My Website Where I Share My Life in Manhattan, Tokyo, and Exploring the World

Monday, January 11, 2016

Happy Coming of Age Day from Tokyo

Monday, Jan 11, 2016


Today is Coming of Age Day and again most everything is closed. It seems that everything just opened after the New Year’s celebration. The photo above was taken from the web.

Coming of Age Day is when all the kids who have turned 20 get dressed up and their parents throw them parties. The girls wear crazy expensive kimonos with furs and the boys wear suits. Now that they’re twenty, these kids are considered adults and can legally drink and hopefully start working—to help their parents pay for the $10,000usd I read some of these kimonos can cost.

During my neighborhood stroll earlier today I saw a few of the girls dressed up and their parents happily snapping their pictures. I only took this discrete photo because I didn’t want to look like a weirdo snapping someone else’s kid.

If Hallmark were smart, they’d be over here in Japan taking notes where there are many more national holidays then the USA EVER dreamed of celebrating.

Happy Coming of Age Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *