My Website

My Website
Click Above to Visit My Website Where I Share My Life in Manhattan, Tokyo, and Exploring the World

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Keeping the River on My Right in Tokyo


Saturday, July 2, 2016

It was hot and humid yesterday so what better place to head than outside to sweat? I decided to go walk along the river near our apartment because it’s not only one of my favorite areas within walking distance—but it’s also much cooler along the water.

The scenery along the river is always beautiful and its looks vary, depending upon the season. I enjoy stopping to peer down into the water below to see what types of fish and fowl are hanging out, too. It’s a regular Wild Kingdom episode sometimes.


 
I decided to explore and to walk further along the river than I have so far to see what I could see. I figured if I kept the river on my right I wouldn’t get lost and it would give me a direction.

Turns out about 30 minutes down the road, the river actually disappears though. I had two choices: move inward a couple of blocks to see if I could find it or to continue down the straight, and very busy, Shin Mejiro Dori. I decided to walk along the road to see what would unfold. It seemed easier. And it was hot.

I walked past old, intriguing restaurants and some familiar names.



I then walked past an old shrine area located directly off of this very busy, modern road.


After leaving the shrine area, I continued down the main road another ten minutes or so, and noticed a gate to what appeared to be a garden or a park a couple blocks away. It looked cool and green and very inviting--so I turned right, leaving the crazy traffic behind and headed towards it.


Walking in was not a mistake. It was beautiful, and instantly much cooler. Unsure of what I’d walked into though, I began quickly taking photos and preparing to be kicked out.


I followed the path in and then made for the stairs at the end of the path. Up, past the red-bibbed guys I climbed, snapping photos all along the way.



Then at the top of the stairs I found myself entering a cemetery. I had a quick look, took a photo, then turned back to go down the stairs. There wasn’t a lot of shade and frankly it wasn’t nearly as nice as the garden area I’d just left.





Finding the garden had been  a nice respite and a very pleasant surprise. But just like that, I was deposited back out into the hot, sunny day with a long hot walk ahead of me.

I decided to head back—this time on the other side of the road. Soon I came upon the river again, looking very different from our little neighborhood slice. 



 I headed toward Takadanobaba, stopping at a used bookstore, before walking back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *